 CAD / MLCad / 115
114  |  116
Subject:
L-CAD Parts Messages (was: Suggestion for ML-CAD Plug-Ins)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:38:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Anders Isaksson wrote:

Steve Bliss skrev i meddelandet ...
[what about color?]

Two approaches:
(where's the second approach?)

The second approach went beyond the event horizon.

1. Allow multiple formats for the string being passed in the WM_COPYDATA
message.  One format is the one you're already using, the part filename and
description. Another message could be defined that included color • information.
A useful format for this second buffer would be a valid LDraw command.
Something like:

1 <color> 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 <partfile>

Of course! Why didn't *I* think of that? (message type 2)

And (wandering off into left field) this message data format could be defined • as
a snippet of LDraw code, instead of a single command.  This would support
inter-program passing of almost any LDraw-related information.  Multiple • parts,
scaled primitives, submodels, whatever.

One long string with line separators? Or a multi-message approach (coded
'start-of-message', 'part-of-message', 'end-of-message' - message types 3,4
and 5)?

One long message with line separators.  As long as WM_COPYDATA permits, assuming
WM_COPYDATA specifies a limit. <reads doc> Yeah, there's a limit.  We can only
have 2^32 bytes in the passed string.  Drat.  ;)

Would a multi-message approach be more powerful than a single block of LDraw
code?

Steve