 CAD / MLCad / 110
Re: Suggestion for MLCad Plug-Ins
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:56:12 GMT

Steve Bliss skrev i meddelandet ...
[what about color?]

Two approaches:
(where's the second approach?)

1. Allow multiple formats for the string being passed in the WM_COPYDATA
message.  One format is the one you're already using, the part filename and
description. Another message could be defined that included color • information.
A useful format for this second buffer would be a valid LDraw command.
Something like:

1 <color> 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 <partfile>

Of course! Why didn't *I* think of that? (message type 2)

And (wandering off into left field) this message data format could be defined • as
a snippet of LDraw code, instead of a single command.  This would support
inter-program passing of almost any LDraw-related information.  Multiple • parts,
scaled primitives, submodels, whatever.

One long string with line separators? Or a multi-message approach (coded
'start-of-message', 'part-of-message', 'end-of-message' - message types 3,4
and 5)?

I agree that it is best to move description to the end of the line.  The only
problem is that not all parts have numbers.
No big problem, as we cannot render them anyway if that's the case :-)

The key thing is to have the headers on the first line, so the columns can be • in
any order, left-to-right.  It's not *too* challenging to write the • file-reader
to handle this type of input.

Agreed.

Will you write the specs? :-))

--