Re: Help writing LDraw's history
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:20:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:

Good news - I found an XML based dynamic timeline generator. I’ve plugged in a couple dates on my local machine, and I’m testing for how to deal with events and spans aesthetically. I’ll post it when I have a bit more info filled in, then we can start seeing it come together.

-Tim

Here is my working file of the timeline:

http://www.timcourtney.net/ldraw-timeline/timeline.html

It’s not 100% to what’s in the spreadsheet, but it gives a good idea of what’s possible.

The system has some limitations. I’m not able to add the individual version dates as points along a span, nor am I able to stick a point at the end, which would be ideal.

It doesn’t appear to support user-defined fields, so having fields for version numbers and people won’t work. This would allow the timeline to be searchable.

I sent the group that created it an email with questions on the above. I don’t imagine it would be too hard to add support given the foundation they’ve already built.

For more information on the timeline project, see:

http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/

-Tim

With some further playing, I started adding a few events. That goes beyond the scope of software tools. I don’t know how to create a separate band for events or even if it’s possible.

I like the idea of having one for software only. It gives a clear picture of a development timeline. However, I think it’s also cool to visualize events. I’ll continue to fill them in as I go but may split it. Thoughts?

-Tim

Timeline of software tools and timeline of events should be in a separate document. For the timeline of software tools I would like to have a point at every version change (like the initial you have already in the spreadsheet) and a blue background from one point to the other. So it is visible for everybody that there will be a continuum (? right word). Every line should represent one tool. Otherwise it implizits to the visitor that Bricksmith continues LDDP like seen in the spreadsheet. Otherwise I like the look of the result.

cu mikeheide