Re: Help writing LDraw's history
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:16:36 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   I’m filling in a little myself right now. You’re the only one who filled in data in the “milestone” columns. You interpreted that as version numbers.

I think it makes more sense to name the colums “VersionNumber#” to correspond with the “VersionDate#.” So I did this, and moved each next to the respective version.

I also highlighted the Original Release Date, Current Ver. Release Date, and Current Version Number columns as I believe they are the most important for visualizing this information.

OK. I rearranged mine to make 0.1 the “Original Release”. I pushed other versions over and replaced 0.1 in the Misc column with 3.1. Also, I didn’t like the spreadsheet stripping of the .0, so I added a v prefix to all my version numbers so they’d be treated as strings. If you know how to force them to be strings without a prefix, feel free to make that change.

Thanks. Not sure on the string bit. For starters I’d like to get the data filled out to the point where I can work on graphing it with Excel, Numbers or possibly even Illustrator. I’m not as concerned with the string for that reason as I’ll manually translate the info into a graphic with a callout or a mouseover callout.

BTW - if anyone has ideas for illustrating this I’m all ears. I have a concept in mind but open to ideas.

   I would suggest swapping all the version/date columns so that the version column precedes the date column. I think that would make the spreadsheet more readable. I would do it, but since you setup the spreadsheet, I’m not going to make that change, since it’s an opinion.

Good suggestion. I’m typing this out right before heading to bed, you’re welcome to make the swap if you like. I haven’t had time over the last few days to work on this but hope to put some more into it in the next couple.

Just logged in and it’s filling out quite nicely. Thanks (and thanks Philo as well) for the help!

-Tim