Re: Parts Tracker - Using L3P-check to scan submitted files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:03:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Paul Easter writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes: • [snip]
0 %s END expected                          of TRANSLATE/ROTATE/SCALE/TRANSFORM
0 END not expected                         of TRANSLATE/ROTATE/SCALE/TRANSFORM • [snip]
I have used the phrase "0 end of subpart", "0 end of file", etc in some of
the parts I have made. Will these get rejected? I usually always try to keep
them lowercase.

No, they should be fine.  If you use a line like 0 END ROTATE (upper- or
lower-case), that would cause the error message.

Maybe we should have specified (back in the day, too late now) that
meta-commands all have to start with a super secret symbol, so they wouldn't
collide with comments...

Errors, but should they cause rejection?:

2 Vertices not coplanar (%g)               Only if -det/-dist option
I'm not sure about this one. I feel that new parts should be held to a
tighter and more consistent standard, which l3p helps enforce. In the past I
have seen a reccommended value of 0.1. A number higher than 1.0 should get
some attention, higher that 2.0 should be rejected, or highly recommended to
be fixed. When I can't get this number reduced, I break the quad into 2
triangles.

What about primitives?  Shouldn't they be held to a .001 tolerance?

1 Identical to a previous line             Line has been seen before (L3P16)
1 Identical to line %u                     Line has been seen before (L3P32)

No, they should just get a warning.

That's an idea...

1 Bad vertex sequence, 0312 used           Bow-tie in linetype 4
1 Bad vertex sequence, 0132 used           Bow-tie in linetype 4
Can the vertex sequence error in the file be fixed automatically at upload?

Could be, but it's not our job.  In other words: I'm not going to spend time
on it right now, and I'm leery of inserting a super-fixer-upper program in
the part submit process.  It would be alright if it was a separate tool that
people could choose to apply to their files.

3 Comment lines should have space after 0  Ill-formatted comment like "01 ..."
I do not know of any programs that have problems with this, but I could see
it being a parsing problem within them.

Oh!  One of the first parts I made, Ldraw kept crashing. The reason was with
line type 1, there was more than 1 space before the filename.
Might need to check for this as well, or maybe have the tracker "sniff" for
and fix this at upload.

Good point, and see my comment above.

Steve