 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 799
Re: Need (working) program to generate instruction pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 23:03:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Don Heyse wrote:

You can try to force double buffering in ldglite with the -n2 or -n4
command line switches, but this may interact badly with some of the
other unusual obsolete old-school performance tricks I used (especially in
ledit mode).

Good call. I ran it with -n4, and that makes things visible during rotation. The
status bar and final appearance of the model (after you stop rotating, if your
rotation style is different) don't get drawn until obscured by a menu, etc., so
presumably the -n options don't apply to them. In any case this backs up your
explanation.

I took another screenshot to illustrate how the whole model is rendered while
spinning but the other stuff needs to be "tickled" - the toolbar and part of the
cockpit were only revealed after showing the Edit menu -
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/anoved/Examples/ldglite-mactel-n4-editmenurepaint.jpg

Also, now that I can get something displayed, I have confirmed and must concede
that you're right about the environment variables, Chris!

Sorry about that.  I suppose I could build an offscreen only version of
ldglite for the Mac using only the osmesa software opengl implementation.
I think this is still in use by peeron and ldraw.org to render parts.  It
could also be used to render STEP image files without requiring any opengl
drivers or hardware.  Would that be useful?

Possibly, but don't go out of your way to do it. I'm not sure how it figures
into the decision, but for what it's worth my main use of ldglite these days is
to generate hoses and instruction steps (although to date I haven't really done
much of the latter).

Be well,

Jim