 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 786
Re: Need (working) program to generate instruction pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 16:15:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Lutz Uhlmann wrote:

   Hi,

I need some programm to create bitmaps (or other file formats) stepwise instructions, just like the old Ldraw did in DOS.

I tried ldglite, but it just shows a white window, even after loading a model. Do I need some addtional software? I am using OS X Tiger, Mac Mini Intel duo core.

Or is there any better programm? best would be if it could generate pictures for each step just like official instructions, with the parts new for this step in full color and stuff from previous steps faded.

Thanks, Lutz

I’d like something like that too. Although I don’t think there’s currently anything that will make the whole instructions for you, Bricksmith’s “Export Steps” option may be a useful start. It creates a separate LDraw file for each step in your model (or each submodel thereof) representing the model up to that point. Then you could render each step file with L3P. I’ve thought of writing a script to help do that, but it’s pretty far back on my queue. Otherwise I guess you could just take a bunch of screenshots.

I’ve observed the same problem with ldglite on my Intel Mac. However, I just realized that although there are display problems, it works fine from the command line! Based on the notes in the ldglite.txt readme, try something like this:
/path/to/ldglite.app/Contents/MacOS/ldglite -i2 -mS /path/to/model.ldr
The -i2 option generates PNGs with transparent backgrounds and -mS saves an image for every step without opening a window. Cool!

Jim