 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 356
Re: Multiple parts was Re: Mac LDraw Viewer comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 16:49:41 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi writes:
Does BrickDraw3D Carbon support adding bricks?

Yes, you just drag from the parts list with the mouse.
0.7 will have translucent drag images.

One observation about BrickDraw3D Carbon vs Classic is that the Classic
application is able to rotate a brick more smoothly.

This is due to Apple eliminating QuickDraw3D. What you see in Classic is
QuickDraw3D rendering. In Carbon, it is duplicated by Quesa, which is not
optimized for fast drawing. Use OpenGL renderer instead. In 0.5-0.6 it gives
nearly the same view.

OpenGL will be the default in 0.6. It is at least 3 times faster.

It is stange that
the application running in the classic environment would be faster than
the applicaiton running natively in OS X. Is this an Apple thing or a
developer thing? Unfortunately, both programs rotate complex models
(like my caboose) too slowly. I know I don't have a fast machine PG G3
400, but it still seems extra slow.

BrickDraw3D has improved substantially since the last time I looked at
it, but I find it hard to get used to the idea of not rotating the model
with the mouse though.

I wasn't sure how to put this into the interface.  A tool palette is something
I avoided - the application has only one mode as a result. So that clicking
always means "select, to edit". Maybe a distinct view/edit mode switch? So that
clicking in view mode starts a rotate? Otherwise in edit mode I want to make
(shift)click-drag open up a selection rectangle (for selecting multiple parts).

Or this weird combination:

Click on piece - select or drag piece *
Click on nothing - begin rotate of model
Shift-Click on nothing - begin rectangle select
Option-click drag piece - duplicate piece *
Cmd-click - brings up menu *

* currently there in 0.5

Which is better - dual edit/view modes where the view mode just rotates the
model when you click on it - or use modifier keys to determine whether you are
getting a piece or rotating the model?

Comments?

-Erik