 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 346
Re: Mac LDraw Viewer comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 2002 13:57:15 GMT

Christopher,

Excellent feedback, keep it comming. This way I can improve the software
more easily. Otherwise I develop using mushroom theory (working in the dark).

I started up LDraw Viewer 0.3.1 on a PowerBook G3 (FireWire), ATI(AGP)
128 bit Rage Mobility with 8 MB VRAM, 640 MB RAM and made the following
observations: • Which OS are you using?

In classic, 1x4x5 solid door with 4 pane window the same color as
regular bricks.
In carbon, blue with white suit stencil minifig top is darker than other
blue bricks.
Transparent elements, trans clear windshield and trans red 1x1 round
plate, look gray.
Both versions use the same code to display the models, however the OpenGL
library code is different for the Carbon and Classic versions. So I don't
actually directly control the onscreen colours (Interesting observation
though). When Ldraw Viewer encounters a colour it doesn't recognise it
defaults to grey, thus your experiences with the transparent parts. Please
send me the numbers of colours you are using and I will incorporate them
(Ldraw Viewer 0.4 is about 2 days away).

Created a new document by pressing ³command + n²
The contents of the window named ³mini.dat² changed to a gray 2x4 brick.
Selected ³Save² from the file menu while trying to select ³Save as...²
Oops, I think I have a back-up of the model I just erased.
I think you have found a bug - I will fix it.

  Dialogue box went away and an empty window called untitled appeared.
Pressed ³command + i²
  Application crashed.

Never thought I would do that huh? :)

You are dead right there, what I will do is this; if the user selects
cancel, then I will select new file. Actually the crash makes sense, the
insert routine assumes an existing file is open as a result, there no catch
for an empty file.

Bugs
Pressing (command + D) in ³Save as...² dialogue box does not change
location to desktop. The edit menu lights up instead (trying to do a
delete?)
I wasn't even aware of that keyboard short cut.

Not reproducible
Unreproducable crashes are a problem as they are hard to track.
Unfortunately compounding these problems, on my deveploment machines DDR
Dual 1 Ghz (512k), ATI Radeon 9000 Pro(64k) with OS 10.2.1 - Carbon version
and G4/400 Yikes (192k), ATI Rage 128(16k) with OS 9.1 - Classic version it
never crashes.

Bad Form
New documents should open with a new name, not the old documents name.
Parts are listed ³.dat² file based on the part from which they came but
in reverse chronological order. This is going to be a compatibility
problem, or do(will) steps get inserted in the right order?
Using the insert command places a copy of the part in the line imediately
before the part that was originally selected (that is the desired behavior).
However I have recognised that this is a shortcomming, so in version 0.4 I
have a new additional command called "duplicate part" that copies the part
to the end of the Ldraw file. This is more useful in my experience.

Feature requests
Change default to ³.ldr²? Is LDraw.org campaining for this?
Command keys for opening color dialogue box and selecting colors.
Command keys for opening part number dialog box.
Command keys for part orientation.
I have the contextual menu to cover these actions (control click on a
selected part). I may consider keyboard shortcuts in the future.
Selecting multiple bricks simultaneously. • This will come later when I wrap my head around how to do this elegantly.
Individual white bricks are very difficult to see. Different color
backgrounds, or better lighting.
Changing the background is trivial - I will look into it. One feature that
is overdue is a prefrences dialog - it belongs there.
Get Mac OS X to recognize files created by LDraw Viewer as files that
should be opened by LDraw Viewer. (Or is this Mac OS X 10.2.2
misbehaving since I cannot seem to get the ³Change All², in the ³Get
Info² window, option for all dat files to work.
Icons and attaching files is overdue, I need to do two things here firstly I
need to register the program with apple so I can use my own file creator
codes. The I need to clean up the Icons - all I need is a 48 hour day or
even better stop sleeping - spending 8 hours a day doing nothing annoys me
alot (but I digress).
Multiple windows open at the same time? • Low priority at the moment.
Better looking transparent brick rendering?
There are Ldraw rules but as said above tell me the colour numbers and I
will add them to the list - I also note that there seems to be several
values for transparent bricks in use.

Thanks for your feedback, as said above, I will have a version 0.4 by the
end of the weekend. If I receive the colours from you they will be included.
Additionally I will include some of the features you mention.

Andrew...