 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 317
Re: Mac LDView possibility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 08:17:05 GMT

Binary is (for the next few days/weeks) available at:

http://firebolt.mlmc.utah.edu/LDView.dmg.sit

You will probably need a video card better than a Rage 128.  This doesn't
work on my iBook 466 at all (but it does work on my G4/1.25).

I'm  just going to paste the read me:

---------------------------------
     LDView Preview release.
---------------------------------

by Travis Cobb, ported to Mac OS X by Alex Raftis.

LDView displays LDraw models using OpenGL.  It has some pretty nifty display
options.

In the "About LDView" menu, it says it is 1.0b.  I don't know what version
of LDView code is include though (I forgot to ask Alex).

The source code is available on Alex's website.  Before messing with it,
email Alex or me (my email is at the bottom of this Read me).

This isn't a final release by any means.  But I really wanted to get this
out.  There are a few problems (see below).  I don't think Alex or I have
the time to really test this thoroughly, so would you try it and please let
everyone know your experience by posting to
http://news.lugnet.org/cad/dev/mac/.  You could always email me, Alex, or
Travis, but then nobody else benefits from the discussion.

http://home.san.rr.com/tcobbs/LDView/
http://www.raftis.net/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Alex

---------------------------------
      Instructions
---------------------------------

Place the Frameworks in /Library/Frameworks/, or ~/Library/Framerworks/
(that is /Users/yourname/Library/Frameworks/).

Put the LDView app where ever you like.

You need to download an ldraw folder.   If you don't already have one, you
can do this by opening the preferences and clicking "Install Ldraw folder".

When you have a ldraw folder, you need to tell LDView where it is in the
LDView preferences.

LDView does not open a document when first launched.  You must select File
-> Open first.

When opening models, Alex told me that it does a ton of parsing so that it
is renders faster, so that is why it takes longer than other ldraw apps to
open the models.

There is a Help menu with more instructions there.

---------------------------------
       Known problems
---------------------------------

I couldn't get it to display any models on my iBook 466.  However, it did
work on my G4 1.25.  Alex Raftis thinks it might be the video card on my
iBook.  So, if you have anything better than a Rage 128, this might work for
you.  Otherwise, it might not.

If this does work, you might get some really weird OS X behavior.  Like, for
me, my menus and windows turned white with nothing in them, and instead of
doing the drop shadow thing, they turned black the area that would have the
shadows.  Even the force quit dialog.  Ok, but you don't need to force quit
it unless you open a huge model and can't wait for it to parse.  If you do
want to force quit, be careful because the buttons are still active, you
just can't see them.  All this weirdness goes away when LDView is quit.
(BTW: I have never seen this before, and I am assuming that somehow LDView
is messing with the Window Manager, since it is an OpenGL application as well)

James Reynolds
james@scl.utah.edu
http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jer29950/