 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 225
Re: Mac LDView possibility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 02:04:48 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.mac, Christopher Masi writes:

I am using the Project Builder (v1.1) that Shipped with OS X 10.1 in
October. Should I update it? Can an update be downloaded?

You can get the December 2001 developer tools or the April 2002 beta tools from
the Apple Developer Connection web site.  (You have to register for a free ADC
Online membership to get the beta tools.  You might be able to get the December
tools without registering.)  Warning:  it's a huge (200 MB or so) download.  A
newer version of the developer tools are also supposed to be in the Jaguar
retail box when it comes out later this month.

Yep, I used Stuffit. I thought the latest version fixed those problems.
Oops, I used gzip (gzip -d) and tar (tar -xvf), and built the frameworks
with project builder. I got 6 warnings while compiling the ARJFoundation
framework, and 13 warnings while compiling the ARJInterface framework. I
put the frameworks in /Library/Frameworks and I tried to compile LDView,
but I still got errors

Compiling LDrawModelViewer.cpp (2 errors)
undefined type, founf 'actualWidth'
illegal expression, found ')'
Compiling MacOSX/Document.mm (2 errors)
illegal external declaration, missing ';' after 'C'
illegal external declaration, missing ';' after 'C'

I got the errors in LDrawModelViewer.cpp but it didn't seem to cause any
problems.  The compiler went ahead and created LDrawModelViewer.o and the whole
thing linked and ran ok.  I think the compiler just has some weird bug which
causes it to print those error messages but it recovers and finishes compiling
without problems.

you can make it not print those errors if you change the line with the
'actualWidth' problem to look like this:

   if ((actualWidth * numXTiles) < (height * numYTiles))

I don't think those extra parentheses should be necessary, but gcc seems to
want them.

I didn't get any errors in Document.mm, though.  I think your problem there is
that ".mm" files are Objective-C++, and I'm not sure if the version of gcc you
have supports Objective-C++ properly.  Either the December or April developer
tools should work fine.

Anyway, after building everything copy the "TCFoundation.framework" to
/Library/Frameworks/ (or ~/Library/Frameworks/) before running LDView.
(otherwise it will crash when you try to use the preferences window)

you can see a screenshot of the program displaying some of Bram Lambrecht's
models at http://homepage.mac.com/tim1724/temp/LDView.png

everything works for me except full screen mode, which shows garbage on my
PowerBook G4.  (I'll have to see what it does on my iMac G4 at home, which has
an nVidia chipset whereas the PB has ATI.)

--
Tim Buchheim