 CAD / Development / Macintosh / 216
215  |  217
Subject:
Mac LDView possibility
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Sun, 28 Jul 2002 06:06:54 GMT

It appears that some version of the modified-for-MacOSX LDView source code
is available at the following web site:

http://www.raftis.net/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Alex

Select Projects, then Applications from the menu on the left.  The LDView
source link is on that page.

I don't know what version of LDView this is based on, but I would expect it
to at least work.  You will also need to download AJRFoundation and
AJRInterface from the Frameworks section of his Projects page.  It's not
exactly obvious, but I would expect every one of his apps (including the
LDView port) to use these frameworks.  So make sure to download and build
those frameworks (AJRFoundation first, then AJRInterface) before trying to
compile LDView.  Anyone with the MacOSX development tools should be able to
do this.  The port is all Objective C Cocoa code, so there's really no
chance of a quick port to MacOS 9 or earlier.

Alex (the person who is working on the port) has been really busy at work
for many months now, so I figured you would all be better off with at least
some working version, even if there are still things he wants to do before
an official binary release.  When I noticed he had posted the source on his
web site, I decided to post here.

Since he did post the source code on his public web site, I can't see a
problem with someone else compiling it and distributing a binary.  His
portion of the source appears to be under LGPL (his web page states that all
his apps and tools are under LGPL), and his frameworks are under GPL.  In
other words, make sure to include directions on source downloading if you
create a binary release.  Also remember that a binary release will require
distributing the framework binaries in addition to the app binary.

Although the GPL and LGPL don't require you to do so, I would highly
recommend contacting Alex before making any modifications to the
MacOSX-specific LDView code.  I can almost guarantee that there are
subtlties to the code that aren't immediately obvious.  In fact, it is
likely that it will include various automagic behavior that works great but
seems like true magic until it is eplained.  As an example, I believe he
said his preferences classes all automatically show up in the preferences
panel, even though there's no code in the classes themselves that does this,
nor are they referenced from the (generic) preferences NIB.  You can do some
truly amazing things when you have a deep understanding of the Objective C
runtime.  He's on vacation at the moment, so don't expect any e-mail replies
for at least a week or so.

--Travis Cobbs (tcobbs@REMOVE.halibut.com)