 CAD / Development / 9843
Re: Parts with lengths
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:28:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Jindrich Kubec wrote:
were there some discussions about incorporating part lengths into the
part properties? I mean hoses, strings, cables, tubes etc. The length is
an important property when it comes to making an inventory, but I think
it's important also for working it in CAD. At least, each .DAT could be
converted to plain inventory and it should be obvious which part I
really need (ie. its type, color and sometimes also length).

I don't think making a separate part file for every known length of a part is
the right approach, for at least two different reasons.

First, it would significantly increase the number of parts in the LDraw
library,
making it that much harder to track down specific parts.  Currently, Peeron has
some 52 different recorded lengths just for part 75!  Extend that to all the
potential hose/thread/tube/etc parts, and it would make for a lot of extra
parts
listed in the library.

Secondly, 'hard-coding' the length into the part files would prevent people
from
making their own lengths to work with.  I think it's reasonable to 'allow' lego
builders to snip thread to whatever length they need, without considering this
to be 'part modding'.

So I tend to agree with Kevin, the issue of part-lengths should be solved in
software, not in the parts library.

Steve