 CAD / Development / 9844
9843  |  9845
Subject:
LPub - background images for pages, PLIs and BOMs.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:00:13 GMT

Hi,
  I've got a mask generation facility working pretty well for partial assembly
images.

  The technique I use is to add the concept of chromakey color.  I render the
image with chromakey color (user selectable) as the background color.  I then
examine the resulting picture.  All pixels that are chromakey color in the
picture, are zeroes in the monochrome mask, and non-chromakey pixels are 1's in
the mask.  The rendered model has a bit of the chromakey color in the surfaces
due to reflection and shiny surfaces, so I rerender the image with the
appropriate background color.

  The idea is that these masks can be used to for supporting the concept of a
picture as the background of an assembly step page.  There is one *glaring*
issue here.....  transparent parts.  I was planning to use the masks to overlay
the assembly image over the background picture *after* POV rendering.  But the
mask solution prevents the background picture from showing up when looking
through a transparent windshield for example.

  I'm looking for alternate solutions.... Is it possible to place the background
picture in the scene in POV?  This solution would not work well for the current
implementation of Part List Images or BOMs (which I was going to work on
next.... picture backgrounds on PLIs and BOMs.)

  I'm open to other solutions if people have suggestions.

Kevin