 CAD / Development / 9845
Re: LPub - background images for pages, PLIs and BOMs.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 17:26:24 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

  I'm looking for alternate solutions.... Is it possible to place the background
picture in the scene in POV?

I believe that the general answer is yes, it is possible to take a jpg, gif, or
bmp and place it into a rendered scene. One way it can be done is with
texturemapping onto a rectangle.

What you would presumably need to do then is position and size the texturemapped
rectangle in such a way that it entirely filled the scene background and had
good light to avoid shadows on it from the rendered parts. Presumably having the
rectangle normal to the camera ray would do the first part... not sure about the
second part. I think it depends on what lighting you're using now.

For how to texturemap...

See here:
http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=10496

and here:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=971

and here:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=366 (that's where the credit goes for doing
this... I just kept asking till I actually got it explained to me well enough)

Note that render time may go all to heck if you do this.

This solution would not work well for the current
implementation of Part List Images or BOMs (which I was going to work on
next.... picture backgrounds on PLIs and BOMs.)

  I'm open to other solutions if people have suggestions.

I think there may well be a better way to do a background image than futzing
around with a texturemapped rectangle and calculating clever lighting to avoid
shadows so I hope others do chime in but I think my suggestion would WORK
anyway.

Hope it's of some help.