 CAD / Development / 9734
Re: Variants of 4.5v train motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 18:52:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Clark Stephens wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
The actual motors (both 12V and 4.5V) were sold seperately as replacement
packs, so users can screw open the case and replace the motor (either
replacing a broken motor or replace a 4.5V motor with a 12V motor or vice
versa).

The cases were also sold separately:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=motor+housing
Including Set 1215 which was only the lower half of a Type II housing. It
allowed a user to change a Type I motor (an earlier version without the hole)
into the updated Type II (with the centre hole).

I just checked my motor cases.
The Type I motor cases and Type 2 motor cases are NOT interchangable.
To update a Type I motor to a Type II motor you need a Type II top case, a Type
II bottom case and a Type II gearbox. (The gearbox is the metal box inside the
motor case which holds the gears and act as a couterweight, too). The Type I
gearbox does not support an axlehole as the Type II does. Only the actual motor
unit is interchangable.
You cannot combine a Type I top case with a Type II bottom case because of the
construction around the holes for the wheels.
I think the cases were sold seperately to replace broken ones.

The Type II gearbox also includes the plugholes and consists of two isolated
halves and is used as conductors between the plugs and the motor. The Type I had
seperate metal strips as conductors between the plugs and the motor along the
bottom of the top case.

Hmm, I just opened another Type I motor than I did earlier this week, and I
noticed a difference in the conductor strips between the two. If I had a digital
camera I could take picturs for Clark's Corner.

Niels