 CAD / Development / 9727
Re: Variants of 4.5v train motors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 2004 17:24:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Chris Dee wrote:
Hi

We have a collection of 4.5V train motors on the LDraw Parts Tracker, and I'd
like some help sorting out the variants of this part. On the PT right now we
have

I have checked my collection of train motors (which has reached an amount of 9),
including all three mentioned variants.
(Please note that I have changed the order of the quoted lists from Chris'
message)

x579c01 (by Michael Heidemann) -
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x579c01.dat - this is the
4x12x4 version

Got this one in blue, with a black bottom (partname is misspelled buttom). It
has a white "4,5 V." pattern on the vertical side between the plugs.
The parts look good (have not reviewed the contents, just downloaded all
parts+subparts and viewed it with L3Lab, and looked at some details).

x564c01 (by Guy Vivan) -
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x564c01.dat

Got this one in blue with a 4.5V motor unit, and in black with either a 4.5V and
a 12V motor unit. The actual motor units (4.5V and 12V) are interchangeable.
The parts look good, I only miss metal connectors for the outer bottomside
plugholes (only visible when seen from below).
I am refering to this version as Type I in this message.

x581c01 (by Michael Heidemann) -
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/x581c01.dat

Got this one in black with a 4.5V motor unit. This one has been available with a
12V motor unit, too. The instructions of set 727 (12 Volt Locomotive) show this
Type II.
The parts look good. The solid connectors are part of the metal housing inside.
This housing cannot been seen when the cover and bottom are put together.
I am refering to this version as Type II in this message.

x215 (by Marcel Peeters) -
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=x215 - I think this is supposed to
be the same as x581c01 (which is IMHO superior, due to the subparting).

This part has more visible errors. I would vote for x581c01, which looks better.

The peeron inventory confuses the issue by combining the 4 x 12 x 4 and 4 x 12 x
3 1/3 versions as variants of x469.

Electric Train Motor 4.5V Type I 4 x 12 x 4 -
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x469a (no picture)

This is x579c01 (also available in blue with black bottom, which is not shown on
Peeron, possible because the sets containing this motor in blue have not been
inventorized, yet)

Electric Train Motor 4.5V Type I 4 x 12 x 3 1/3 -
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x469 (no picture)

This is x564c01 (Type I)

Electric Train Motor 4.5V Type II - http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x469b (image
looks like x215 / x581c01)

This is x581c01 (Type II)

Peeron also has x550 'Electric Train Motor 12V 4 x 12 x 3 1/3'
http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/x550
This part actually also has a Type I and a Type II and uses the same housing as
Peeron's x469 and x469b but was equipped with a 12V motor unit instead of a 4.5V
motor unit.

Both Type I and Type II use the same motor units. The motor units are listed on
Peeron as x482 for 4.5V and x551 for 12V (both no picture).
The housings and interior (gears, bushes, metal housing) for the 4.5V and 12V
motors are identical.

I would not include 4.5V in the partnames for Type I and Type II, or we would
need two completely identical parts with only a difference in the partname: 4.5V
or 12V.

The older 4x12x4 motor was only available as 4.5V and did not have a replaceable
motor unit. The bottom and cover were even glued together by Lego.

BrickLink adds further confusion :

Electric, Motor 4.5V Type I 4 x 12 x 4 -
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=bb07 (looks like x579c01)

Right, The picture shows the blue version.

Electric, Motor 4.5V Type II 4 x 12 x 4 -
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=bb05 - which looks more like 4 x 12 x
3 1/3 (looks like x215 / x581c01)

Right.

Electric, Motor 4.5V Type I 4 x 12 x 3 1/3 -
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=bb06 (look like x564c01)

Right.

Can anyone help to confirm that there are just three variants?
4x12x4                                : peeron x469a : Bricklink bb07
4x12x3 1/3 with stud2-like connectors : peeron x469  : Bricklink bb06
4x12x3 1/3 with solid connectors      : peeron x469b : Bricklink bb05

I have not found any other variants but these three (regardless of 4.5V or 12V).
Also note that the 4 x 12 x 3 1/3 Type I motor (with stud2-like connectors) does
not have an axlehole and that Type II (with solid connectors) does have an
axlehole.
Type II replaced Type I when technic axles were introduced, assuming in
or around 1977.

Niels Karsdorp
(Waiting for these motor parts te become official, so I can finish my trains in
ldraw)