 CAD / Development / 9402
Re: Black seems wrong in ldconfig.ldr
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:02:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:
Why not use the optional MATERIAL bits from this old discussion

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=9266

and come up with a modified ldconfig.ldr?  Then implement some code
in LDVIEW to enable your metallic lighting goodies when ldconfig.ldr
contains the proper MATERIAL settings.  Since we're both using opengl
whatever you do will probably work fine for me.

Maybe a defacto standard is the way to get things moving here.

I agree that something of that sort would be a good idea, but in the case of my
metallic colors, I actually hand-tweaked the settings for each metallic color.
They aren't all the same.  This was done partially to differentiate between
chrome and silver, but also because I liked the results that a slight blue tinge
in the specular component gave to chrome, but that wasn't appropriate for gold.
My tweaking was different for chrome, silver, and gold.

I'm fairly happy with the results, but the only way I can think of to get that
information into the ldconfig file would be to actually include specular
settings there: specular exponent (shininess) and specular color.  I don't
really think that's appropriate in the ldconfig file, as the specular settings
may be too specific to the renderer.

Having said the above, having material properties added to the file could help a
lot.  However, the format of the information first has to be agreed upon, and
then the file has to be updated.  That discussion thread kind of petered out,
with no clear consensus for a format.

--Travis