 CAD / Development / 9399
Re: Black seems wrong in ldconfig.ldr
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 18:31:08 GMT

(I switched to FTX due to an unusually long link.)

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs wrote:

   The ldconfig.ldr file currently being distributed with the parts library seems to have the wrong definition for black. It uses 33,33,33 as the RGB color, when the official color chart uses 51,51,51.

(er, which official color chart?)

I was referring to the one at ldraw.org here (LDraw definitions at the bottom).

I believe that the LDraw color definitions there came from some version of the LDraw FAQ. When I said “official”, I meant “official in the context of LDraw”. I was under the impression that this chart met that criterion. I understand that different color values are appropriate in different circumstances, but I thought this particular one seemed like a reasonable choice for the ldconfig file. If I’m wrong about this, though, that’s fine. Perhaps these colors are simply the original colors used by LDraw itself. If so, they obviously don’t make a particularly good color reference.

   Two things to note. First, 33,33,33 comes out quite dark, and (in my opinion) 51,51,51 looks better. (It’s very difficult to make out any detail with the 33,33,33 color.) Second, 33 is 51 in hex, so I think it was just a mistake, and 51 was the desired value.

Uh, Travis, it’s *black*. It’s *supposed* to be dark. People have questioned/complained that it’s not ‘true black’ (ie, 0,0,0).

I understand that on the computer, people have a tendency to want black objects to be as black as their monitor can make them. However, when it comes to 3D objects, this doesn’t work, as black produces a black region with absolutely no internal detail.

   You might be right about the origin of the 33 value, but I believe I was using that definition for black before there was an ‘official’ color chart. So maybe the 51,51,51 value is a mistake. ;) Either way, I’m sure 33,33,33 and 51,51,51 are related as you said.

I would be curious to know people’s opinion on this particular color. I think that most (non-raytraced) rendering programs will produce a result where the details are very difficult to see when using the 33 version of black. On the other hand, if edge lines are turned on, then this doesn’t necessarily hurt anything. I’m not sure what would look better in POV Ray, and it could well depend on the radiosity settings.

   The bottom line is that the ldconfig.ldr file (and the color definitions it provides) are a starting point, not necessarily the perfect colors for all occasions. I’m open to applying tweaks to it, but I don’t think there is really one set of values that will make everyone happy.

BTW, thanks for adding support for ldconfig.ldr to LDVIEW! :)

You’re welcome. It turned out to be fairly easy, since I had recently redone my color handling code to be more dynamic. Unfortunately, now that it’s there I think I need a way for users to override certain colors, while not overriding all colors. I haven’t decided yet whether to give the user control over which ones get overriden.

I think black is a reasonably good example, but the metallic colors are even better examples. My special lighting for metallic colors (only really evident with specular is turned on in LDView) only work when ldconfig isn’t processed.

I think I’m leaning toward only having the ldconfig file update colors that I haven’t already included settings for in LDView. Color definitions in model files will always update the colors.

--Travis