 CAD / Development / 9385
Re: primer/tutorial on BFC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 3 Jan 2004 02:25:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Andrew Westrate wrote:
For the two-dimensional primitives (disc, ndis, ring, chrd) you can do the
following:

Say you have a disc in the x-z plane, like:
1 16 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 10 4-4disc.dat

If this has the wrong BFC winding, you can just flip (mirror) the primitive by
changing the matrix to:
1 16 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 10 4-4disc.dat

Any reason why that isn't valid?  (I do it all the time)

That shouldn't work -- the rendering program should detect that you've mirrored the
object, and adjust accordingly.  Unfortunately, I see that it does 'work' in L3Lab.
LDView is crashing my system right now, so I couldn't check it.

What you should do is flip the 2D object.  Inverting both X and Y is the same as
rotating 180 degrees around the Z axis:
1 16 0 0 0 -10 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 10 4-4disc.dat

Steve

If this is the case then we need to go back through all the BFC'd parts and find
instances of this type of matrix.  Since L3Lab allows inverting the sign of the
Y component and it's currently the only program to easily check for correct
winding, I assumed (without reading the specification) that doing so was legal.
This is also the way I've been teaching others.

-Orion