 CAD / Development / 9376
9375  |  9377
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: primer/tutorial on BFC?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 01:40:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Chris Dee wrote:
[snip]

Thanks for writing this up, Chris!

Your explanation was very good in all respects except for one small point:

... although for cylinders it
is possible to turn them inside out by negating the transformation matrix, and
adjusting the position).

Actually, negating the transformation matrix should not invert any object; and even
if it does, it's not a valid technique for BFC'ing.

Steve

For the two-dimensional primitives (disc, ndis, ring, chrd) you can do the
following:

Say you have a disc in the x-z plane, like:
1 16 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 10 4-4disc.dat

If this has the wrong BFC winding, you can just flip (mirror) the primitive by
changing the matrix to:
1 16 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 10 4-4disc.dat

Any reason why that isn't valid?  (I do it all the time)

Using a mirror matrix doesn't work for the 3d primitives, like the cylinder
Chris mentions.

Andy