 CAD / Development / 869
Re: Star Wars Elements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 15:35:47 GMT

No, it should be called 'Bar 4L'.  That is the best description of what • the
piece *is*, rather than what it is currently being used *for*.

I would disagree with you here, Steve, and agree with Jonathan on this one.
For this purpose it should be next to the hilt so people don't have to go
searching for it.

At least "Star Wars people" would not have to go looking for it.  Someone
using the part who is unfamiliar with Star Wars sets might never think to
look for it there.  That's the basic problem with theme-based nomenclature.
It makes some sense to name it with the hilt now, but when the piece is
released in a non-Star Wars set in a completely unexpected use, we end up
with a "Train Magnet" problem, where only those who are into a particular
theme can find the part.

Of course descriptions can be changed in the future without too much
trouble.

-John Van