 CAD / Development / 601
600  |  602
Subject:
Star Wars Elements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 19:11:32 GMT

A general question, and some comments:

Question:  what parts, new in the SW sets, are people working on?  Do
you have the Parts Tracker updated?  I know JVZ has some worked up.  I'm
not finding anything noted as Star Wars in the parts tracker, but if
somebody has most of a part pre-done, I'd hate to waist time re-working
on it.

I think that, for the Parts Tracker, it's worth noting if a part is new
in Star Wars, even if it's also available in other '99 sets (like the
triangular signs from the speeder bike set).

But the official 'descriptive title' for parts should *not* be specific
to Star Wars.  For example,  the light saber blade could be released as
"Star Wars Light Sabre Blade", or it could be "Rod 4L".  I'd go for the
Rod 4L.

Another thought: are we going to get LucasFilm mad at us if we model
parts which are more obviously Star Wars elements?  One that leaps to
mind is the 2x2 medium slope with the "Death Star Trench Computer
Graphic" (which properly belongs on a HUD, but oh well).  Another is
Darth Vader's helmet.  Should we ask their permission, plow boldy
onward, or avoid these elements?

Steve