 CAD / Development / 8470
  LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

(...) All: There are gazillions of file formats out there and most of them have had to undergo some amount format evolution. Format evolution is a healthy and common situation. A common first step towards evolving a file format is to introduce a (...) (22 years ago, 16-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

(...) Excellent suggestion, Wayne. (...) I like this - with one reservation. We should only focus on documenting 1.0.0 right now. Additions, which would go in a future version (1.1.0) are being openly discussed. Actual decisions on that version (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

This thread has grown so much since Friday it's hard to know exactly where to interject.... so I just picked a spot. I'll have more to say later after reading the thread again but wanted to throw a few comments out. (...) YES! Exactly. And one could (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

(...) I think you picked a great spot to come in at. (...) Yep: format evolution = good. (...) Good idea. I'd also like to add that such a standards body should be relatively few in number. Not to be exclusionary, but to maintain focus. The number 7 (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

Ok, picking up where I left off with the previous post. (...) The group charged with working on this was Steve Bliss, Jacob Sparre Andersen, Terry Keller, Larry Pieniazek, and myself. There hasn't been much activity among the four of us as of late, (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

Ok...replying to myself here... (...) Also, Wayne, since we're on the topic of standards bodies, would you mind sharing with the community some of your thoughts about this, based on your past term(s) as Sun's representative to the W3C? Guys - (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

[snip] (...) Tim: For those who do not know, W3C stands for World Wide Web Consortium and it is the organization that is responsible for web standards such as HTTP, URL, HTML, XML, etc. Before I get into the details of how W3C operates, let me start (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

GREAT input Wayne. (now, can we twist Wayne's arm to be on the SC?) Yes, we should learn from orgs but not adopt everything. The proper balance is key. What follows is some ILTCO organizing committee experience. On the topic of conference calls, (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

(...) I'm not so keen on actual phone use (all I have is a cell phone), but using AIM, MSN, ICQ etc... is propbably the best way. (...) Due to my work, it's would be easier for me if we did this during or after a lego event. It's easier for me to (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

(...) I hear you. We may find that we need to move to phone to get more done faster but can start that way (...) Yep, me too. (...) If putting the function into ldraw.org itself isn't fast/easy, yes. Yahoo Groups, although disliked by some, are (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

(...) I don't have time to comment on all the rest yet, but ldraw is already set up for this - has been for a year, since we set it up for members@ldraw.org. Dan (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

(...) There's a (mailman, I think) mailing list set up on LDraw.org which no one uses. We set it up to be used, but never made an effort to move discussion about organizaiton there, so we never used it. The intent was to allow anyone to join and (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

(...) very very easy to set up. A list where membership is moderated (not anyone can sign up), only members can post, and has public html archives is very easy to do. (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

(...) Definitely. I think it's important to draw from ILTCO's experience forming as well as Wayne's experience on the W3C. (...) Good idea. While I'm not going for a position on the SB myself, I can attest for the value of voice conversations over (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

(...) Cool. :-) -Tim (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  SC Membership (was Re: LDraw Versioning)

(...) [snip] (...) All: I'm open to the concept of being on the SC. My concern is that is that I am not either a heavy LDraw user or LDraw tool person. This is primarily because most of the LDraw tools only run on Windows and I only run Linux these (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)

(...) I wasn't too enthusiastic about conference calls when I first heard W3C talk about them. They kind of grew on me as I saw how effective they were. We could resolve in 5 minutes an issue that would otherwise take days of elapsed time and hours (...) (22 years ago, 17-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Charter Org for LDraw.org (was: Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility))

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney wrote: [snippity-do-dah] (...) Whoa there! There is a *huge* difference between a 'formal organization' and a 'formal nonprofit organization'. If you were using 'nonprofit' informally, please *don't*. 'nonprofit' (...) (22 years ago, 22-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Charter Org for LDraw.org (was: Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility))

(...) Cool. I put 'nonprofit' in to emphasize the nature of the organization. While I've taken a cursory look at information on "nonprofit corporations," I'm not totally aware of alternatives. Obviously, we want to travel down the route that creates (...) (22 years ago, 22-Mar-03, to lugnet.cad.dev)