 CAD / Development / 8485
Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 04:45:35 GMT

Ok...replying to myself here...

In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Wayne Gramlich writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
<snip>
If we want to encourage other programmers to volunteer and write programs
for the LDraw system, what exists now needs to be clearly documented.

I think we need to put a lock on the creation of any new commands until we
can properly document the existing commands.  This will prevent the overlap
of functionality.

All:

There are gazillions of file formats out there and most of them
have had to undergo some amount format evolution.  Format evolution
is a healthy and common situation.

A common first step towards evolving a file format is to introduce
a version number into the specification.  While the introduction
of a version number is by no means universal, it is an extremely
common strategy and would be rather easy to do for the LDraw
specification.  That way programs can read the version number
and adapt to any changes that have occured to the file format.

Excellent suggestion, Wayne.

Also, Wayne, since we're on the topic of standards bodies, would you mind
sharing with the community some of your thoughts about this, based on your
past term(s) as Sun's representative to the W3C?

Guys - allthough the W3C is way above and beyond what we're doing here, I
think it's valuable to learn how the big boys do it, and draw from that
what's appropriate for our community.

I know Wayne isn't all that active here, but I've met him in person on
multiple occasions (BricksWest 2002 and 2003). Each time we get into good
discussions about the current state of the LDraw community, and what should
be done differently in the future. Because of his experience, Wayne has a
lot of valuable insight into our situation.

-Tim