 CAD / Development / 8477
Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 02:10:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Wayne Gramlich writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney writes:
<snip>
If we want to encourage other programmers to volunteer and write programs
for the LDraw system, what exists now needs to be clearly documented.

I think we need to put a lock on the creation of any new commands until we
can properly document the existing commands.  This will prevent the overlap
of functionality.

All:

There are gazillions of file formats out there and most of them
have had to undergo some amount format evolution.  Format evolution
is a healthy and common situation.

A common first step towards evolving a file format is to introduce
a version number into the specification.  While the introduction
of a version number is by no means universal, it is an extremely
common strategy and would be rather easy to do for the LDraw
specification.  That way programs can read the version number
and adapt to any changes that have occured to the file format.

Excellent suggestion, Wayne.

Some of the proposals being discussed in this thread would
go into the 1.1.0 version of the LDraw specification.  I
would recommend using 1.1.0 for additions that everybody
can quickly agree to.  Version 1.2.0 could be reserved for
the LDraw standards body that Tim would like to convene.
Discussions about 1.1.0 and 1.2.0 can proceed in parallel
with the effort to document the 1.0.0 version completely.

I like this - with one reservation. We should only focus on documenting
1.0.0 right now. Additions, which would go in a future version (1.1.0) are
being openly discussed. Actual decisions on that version should wait for the
standards body to vote them in officially, rather than being decided here.

I think the SB can be up and running within a week, honestly. There's enough
energy here from the various people who have volunteered for it to make it
happen.

I do think Steve needs to weigh in here. I know he's been very busy this
weekend, so giving a little bit of time for him to catch up is a good idea.

-Tim