 CAD / Development / 8496
8495  |  8497
Subject:
SC Membership (was Re: LDraw Versioning)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:54:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Larry Pieniazek writes:
GREAT input Wayne. (now, can we twist Wayne's arm to be on the SC?)

[snip]

If the SC is self selecting, (this is a community consensus thing, I'm
assuming but not asserting that the community is OK with that) we have 3
members already and at least one of the members (me) wants Wayne in on this
for his previous standards body experience. That would be 4. Steve B is a
must, that's 5.

All:

I'm open to the concept of being on the SC.  My concern is that
is that I am not either a heavy LDraw user or LDraw tool person.
This is primarily because most of the LDraw tools only run on
Windows and I only run Linux these days.  About the only LDraw
program I have run is LeoCAD, which runs on both Windows and Linux.

These days I've been putting a bunch of effort into designing a
more general purpose CAD/CAM system for Linux.  It is layered
on top of OpenGL, GLUI (an OpenGL based toolkit), and GTS (Gnu
Triangulated Surface library.)  So I suspect that I have enough
technical horsepower to meaningfully contribute to the LDraw
SC topics.

I'd hate to be taking a position on the SC that somebody else
wants, but is too shy to ask for.  Let's let things cook for a
few more days before settling on the final committee membership.

I would suggest that somebody (not me) start a new thread
officially asking people if they would like to be on an
LDraw Standards/Steering Committee.  Let's find out how many
people are interested in being members first.

-Wayne