 CAD / Development / 8541
Re: Charter Org for LDraw.org (was: Re: LDraw Versioning (Was Re: Backwards Compatibility))
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 01:00:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Tim Courtney wrote:

[snippity-do-dah]
The intent of a formal org in my mind is not to bog decisions down in red
tape. In fact, it is to free us, to establish a clearly defined process for
decision making, and clear legitimate authority to back decisions up, which
we do not have right now. It is to facilitate the further promotion and
evangelism of LDraw tools to new users, to give us a springboard from which
to spread the word about our free tools to others.

We need to move towards a formal nonprofit organization because:

Whoa there!  There is a *huge* difference between a 'formal organization'
and a 'formal nonprofit organization'.  If you were using 'nonprofit'
informally, please *don't*.  'nonprofit' typically means a huge headache
for whatever poor soul gets to work on making it happen.  And is usually
only advisable when larger amounts of money are involved.

I pretty much agree with your arguments for a formal org.

Cool.

I put 'nonprofit' in to emphasize the nature of the organization. While I've
taken a cursory look at information on "nonprofit corporations," I'm not
totally aware of alternatives. Obviously, we want to travel down the route
that creates the least headache.

I am occasionally talking to organizers of ILTCO to find out how they are
doing things. I think using a LEGO community example is a good way to go.

-Tim