 CAD / Development / 8359
Re: My ideal Part-Authoring-Application (PAA)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:23:09 GMT

hi darrell,

most of the authors take advantage of
professional cad-modeller.

I'm curious how this works (if it's true). Are you guys modeling in
commercial 3D software and then using some level of FEA to write the code?
Even if it's just measuring faces and listing coordinates? Having never been a
"traditional" LDraw author I wouldn't know.
How much of authoring is conceptual sketching/trial&error in MLCAD and how
much is real time 3D modeling?

I do ALL the modelling in a 5-dollar-cad-prog called "reflections". it
supports only trinagles, has an import for dxf (to import converted dats for
measurement) and outputs its one file format and a strage povray. therefore
I run the pov-code through word and get a fine dat-file. i sort all
triangles in mlcad and convert the result with dat2dxf. a friend of mine
imports this dxf (still with 5 digits) in his 3d studio max and returns me a
ase-file (with the ldraw 3-digits-standard) ready to run through max2dat to
"parsed, paired whenever possible and combined to form .DAT quads to help
minimize the size of the output file". at this point i use LDDP and mlcad to
get the missing edges and cond. lines and doing all the
primitive-substitution, BFC... sounds wired and labourious? believe me it
is, but it works fine for me.

w.

PS. to make patterns I use scans and illustrator ... import the ai-file into
3d studio max ... export it as dxf ... and load it into reflections ...