 CAD / 9496
Re: My ideal Part-Authoring-Application (PAA)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:21:38 GMT

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:13:43 GMT, "Willy Tschager" <willy.tschager@tin.it> wrote:

I have the following approach
I first modelize the part with a commercial 3D Cad tool : Solidworks, then I export the STL file and convert it to dat
with STL2DAT.
Then, I generally do post processing by hand to simplify the result.

I know that this converter does not recognize many primitives (disc, ring,
circle, peghole, axlehole) I have some ideas about that and I have
started working on it. However it will be a difficult task and the
result must not be expected before a few months.
About the simplification of the faces that are described by many small
triangles or quads, I had a discussion in the very beginning of the
stl2dat project with Steve or Tore (I don't remember) He argued that if
there is a vertex on one face, there should also be a vertex on the
other. I removed an optimisation that was in the program. I will try an
idea : produce simplified faces and add them as comment in the part, so
both results could be tested and the best solution could be kept.

I think the best way to go for the future is a "load" plugin for LDDP.

There are also some functions of STL2DAT that can be very usefull :
The calculation of type 2 and type 5 edges from triangles.

STL2DAT builds a boundary representation of the solid from the set of triangles. All faces are connected to their
neighnours like in solid modeler. Many treatment can be done using this structure.

Marc Klein
A Mindstorms fan.