 CAD / Development / 8067 (-20)
  Re: True Type fonts and LDraw files

It is not only about adding text to a 3D world or a 2D render of it, but also about arrows. Arrows are (can be) used to point to a specific part or a group of parts. What about when this (these) part(s) are not visible in a different camera (...) (22 years ago, 3-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: 24-tooth Technic gear confusion - Part(s) 3648, 3648a, x187

Thanks all. For now, I guess I will use just 3648 and indicate the appropriate version in the notes column. Hmm...maybe I need to add "learn how to create LDraw parts" to my ever-growing LEGO ToDo List (although I somehow suspect that 3648 might not (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv)

  Re: True Type fonts and LDraw files

I was assuming that the user knows the view angle as well as any MLCad rotation steps that are in place when laying out the building instructions, but maybe this is too much work. If I do it as a post processing step, then the user is going to have (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: True Type fonts and LDraw files

(...) Not necessarily. I don't always use the default viewpoint when rendering. (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: True Type fonts and LDraw files

(...) As far as I know, you can't do that, but I suppose you could do it with a new META statement. (...) I think there might be some LDRAW programs out there with a notion of a floor or background image. Those are 2D objects that may or may not (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: True Type fonts and LDraw files

Quoting Don Heyse <dheyse@hotmail.spam...away.com>: (...) couldn't you say the text "box" is anchored in a point in space, and ALWAYS faces the camera? Or is there a situation where there's more than one camera at the same time? (I don't know much (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: True Type fonts and LDraw files

(...) The one thing to watch out for here is that floating text will only look right when viewed from a particular angle. Don't forget that LDraw files contain 3D data which can be viewed from all directions. Text annotation seems to me more like a (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  True Type fonts and LDraw files

Hi, I've been doing a lot of work on automating the creation of building instructions lately, and have been studying various LEGO Constructopedias. There are places where LEGO uses text to anotate things in their step images (like 180 degree (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: 24-tooth Technic gear confusion - Part(s) 3648, 3648a, x187

Hi, Two comments: 1. Checking Technica might help (URL) Also, maybe cross-posting to technic and robotics might have been a good idea ... people there tend to know a great deal about Technic parts - specially when earlier, more fragile ones have (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv)

  Re: Callin' all numbers

16 - Adam Howard User since: 1997 Author since: 1998 Parts made: 4, +2 modifications Programs I use: Rhinoceros- 3D modeling dxf2dat LDAO Wordpad Notepad Excel L3P L3Lab LDView LDLite MLCad LEDIT (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad)

  Re: 24-tooth Technic gear confusion - Part(s) 3648, 3648a, x187

(...) In general, I do what Steve tells me to do :) I do agree that everything should be the "generic" number unless it's specifically known to be a certain revision. I believe that's how things are on peeron now - the only thing that has x187 is (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.inv)

  Re: 24-tooth Technic gear confusion - Part(s) 3648, 3648a, x187

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lance Hopenwasser writes: [snipped description of the situation] (...) *Eventually*, I'd expect there to be a 3648a and a 3648b. That is, if the other version is ever rendered for LDraw (assuming it hasn't already). In LDraw, when (...) (22 years ago, 2-Dec-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.db.inv)

  Re: Glass... to BFC or not to BFC?

(...) Yes it does. (...) Right. Steve (22 years ago, 30-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  LDraw.org Parts Update 2002-05 Now Available

This fifth update for 2002 contains 199 files, including 116 new parts. As always, along with the new parts, there are various fixes, new primitives, and name changes. The Parts Tracker is now up and running again, but the 2002-05 parts preview (...) (22 years ago, 30-Nov-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev) !

  Re: Glass... to BFC or not to BFC?

Doesn't the BFC "spec" mention transparency? The renderer can easily tell when something is transparent, and do BFC processing (or lack thereof) appropriately. This is necessary for correct handling of standard parts that are sometimes transparent, (...) (22 years ago, 30-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  [Parts Tracker] Working on Update 2002-05

I'm going to be working on Update 2002-05 this weekend. During this time, the Parts Tracker will be shutdown for file submissions and review posting. Thank you for your patience. Chris (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Capitalization of filenames

(...) Basically, the LDraw filenames should be considered case-insensitive. The only time I'd want to have uppercase .DAT extensions is to references to STUD*.DAT that should always be drawn, regardless of stud-drawing mode. This is an old (...) (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Glass... to BFC or not to BFC?

(...) Right. For some renderers. Basically, in standard LDraw renderers, the backside surfaces can still be culled, because multiple layers of transparent surfaces look the same as a single layer. In renderers that produce darker/more opaque areas (...) (22 years ago, 29-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Capitalization of filenames

(...) If you want to stay on friendly terms with people using case-sensitive file systems, you stick to lower-case file names. Play well, Jacob (who uses case-sensitive file systems ;-) (22 years ago, 28-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  24-tooth Technic gear confusion - Part(s) 3648, 3648a, x187

I am really confused about the variations on the 24-tooth Technic gear which appear in quite a number of the sets I am attempting to inventory/verify. First of all there seem to be two major variations: the earlier one has three axle holes, and the (...) (22 years ago, 27-Nov-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.db.inv)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact