 CAD / Development / 8048
8047  |  8049
Subject:
24-tooth Technic gear confusion - Part(s) 3648, 3648a, x187
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.db.inv
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:34:25 GMT

I am really confused about the variations on the 24-tooth Technic gear
which appear in  quite a number of the sets I am attempting to
inventory/verify.

First of all there seem to be two major variations: the earlier one has
three axle holes, and the later one has only a single axle hole (presumably
because other pieces now exist that better meet the original purpose for
having offset axle holes).

Technica lists 3-axle as 3648 and 1-axle as 3648a.
See http://w3.one.net/~hughesj/technica/registry/gear/gear_3.php

Peeron has almost all sets containing a 24-tooth gear listed as having
3648 (some of which really contain the 3-axle version, some of which
really contain the 1-axle version). The one exception is set 872, which
is listed as containing part x187 'Technic Gear 24 Tooth with Three
Axle Holes'.

LDraw only has a part numbered 3648 and it is the 1-axle version.
I could not find 3648a or x187 anywhere on the LDraw or Partsref sites
(unofficial parts list or otherwise).

So...my question is: what's the story? And what is the proper part number
to use in the inventories to properly indicate which version of the gear
is in the set?  Thanks for any insight you might have!

Note: My apologies if this crossposting is bad form or if this post really
belongs in a different forum (I'm still a bit of a newbie).