 CAD / Development / 8065
Re: True Type fonts and LDraw files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 2 Dec 2002 20:22:58 GMT

I was assuming that the user knows the view angle as well as any MLCad rotation
steps that are in place when laying out the building instructions, but maybe
this is too much work.

If I do it as a post processing step, then the user is going to have to tell me
where to place the text in the 2D image, probably as much work.  In my
L3P/POV-Ray based building instruction generator, I have control over the view
angles, so I could always make the text face the camera, but again, where do
you want it placed in 3D space?

I assumed that the user would take complete responsibility for placing the text
so it would work nicely.

Kevin

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Dan Boger writes:
Quoting Don Heyse <dheyse@hotmail.spam.go.away.com>:
The one thing to watch out for here is that floating text will only look
right when viewed from a particular angle.  Don't forget that LDraw files
contain 3D data which can be viewed from all directions.  Text annotation
seems to me more like a postprocessing stage that should be applied to a
2D snapshot of the 3D model.  But maybe I'm just thinking inside the box
today...

couldn't you say the text "box" is anchored in a point in space, and ALWAYS
faces the camera?  Or is there a situation where there's more than one camera
at the same time?

As far as I know, you can't do that, but I suppose you could do it with
a new META statement.

(I don't know much about LDRAW, just trying to think of 2d text in a 3d • world)

I think there might be some LDRAW programs out there with a notion of a
floor or background image.  Those are 2D objects that may or may not move
with the rest of the 3D model depending on how they're implemented.  Are
they done with META commands?  I don't know, but I guess it *could* work.