 CAD / Development / 765
Re: How much is too much?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 06:40:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Roy Earls writes:

I'd like to get some input on this before I move on to type 2 and 5, which,
I expect to be the more difficult to process, since, I'm not even sure if
VRML has edge information storage.

Roy

basically the rule of thumb i try to stick with, is the basis for our point of
origin primitive... the stud.. the standard LDraw stud uses a 16-segment
cylinder... so whenever possible i try to use 16-sided cylinders anytime i'm
dealing with a curved surface... in the case of the minifig helmet i would
create a "lattitude" sphere (made of quads laid out like the
longitude/lattitude lines on a globe, rather than a "geodesic" sphere made from
triangles)...  i would start with a sphere that has 16 sides and then start
NURB-tweaking from there...

anytime i'm making wheels or other curved surfaces i diverge from the
16-segment rule whenever the element itself dictates it... in the case of many
wheels/tires, the wheel spokes or tire treads are laid out in a pattern that
lends itself to how many sections the element's curve wants to be broken
into... you may have to just play and find the "right" setting for the helmet..
but starting at 16-segments-around is a good rule of thumb... it might look a
little facety, but i always try to keep our friends with lesser computing power
in mind... (not to mention the LDLite redraw time on some of Steve and Terry's
1500-piece monstermegamodels :)