 CAD / Development / 764
763  |  765
Subject:
How much is too much?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 05:54:19 GMT

A short while ago Onyx produced a MAX2DAT converter which seemed like such a
good idea I was inspired to look into converting from other text based
formats.  I chose VRML files to start with because they seemed very much
alike to the DAT format.  Well, after kicking it around and running some
test program I've gotten some output that works with 3 and 4 types.  This is
where I hit a snag.  I'm outputing a NURBS model of the Classic Space
helmet, so it has to be converted to a mesh then output as a text file.  The
program I use has a quailty setting that will vary the number of polygons
output.  What I'm wondering is how many polygons are too many and how to
determine how many is enough.  If I chose the lowest value the resulting DAT
renders very faceted, but at the medium setting I get a resulting increase
of three to four times the number of polygons and slows the render by at
least as much, but looks great.  Even at the lowest setting file size is
around 90K, but at the highest setting I got a monster of 760K.  What is the
group's feeling on this?  How much is too Much?

I'd like to get some input on this before I move on to type 2 and 5, which,
I expect to be the more difficult to process, since, I'm not even sure if
VRML has edge information storage.

Roy