 CAD / Development / 7647 (-20)
  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

"Don Heyse" <dheyse@hotmail.spam....away.com> skrev i meddelandet news:H0I44E.2vE@lugnet.com... (...) An idea: Drawing with a software Z-buffer it's trivial to note _which_ polygons are the finally visible ones (at every pixel). Those are on the (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: MPD spec

(...) I'd like to weigh in on this issue. I like using the .ldr extension for everything. I also like being able to refer to another MPD file (with the .ldr extension) from within an MPD file. I also like being able to call the the first subfile the (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) This is all going into the keywords search info, so stunningly technical is probably more than I'll deliver on. :) Steve (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: MPD spec

I think I am going to load referenced subparts only and use the first one of recursive mpd files, ignoring the rest for now for LD4DModeler's MPD support. Roland. (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) Oops, I guess you caught me. I knew about that one but I'm too lazy to implement it. Isn't that the method used by MLCAD? (...) Yeah, probably. Seems like only yesterday I was all excited about some code snippet of his that I found on the (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

Portals. It's not backface culling, it's testing all polygons for visibility using possible rays through the openings, or from the sides of a bounding box. This is no longer culling based on front/back but true visibility that is computed once at (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) OK, but if the quads and triangles don't form a single closed surface, or actually a bunch of closed surfaces, then the algorithm won't work. However, like I said, if you find something that works, post the code or the algorithm and you'll be (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) Yes but I'm not parsing primitive subfiles in my plugin, just quads and triangles. -Orion (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) I love searching lugnet for neat old stuff... (URL) can't remember if any working code ever came out of this 3 year old thread, but this *is* a nifty sounding algorithm. If I were working on that plugin, I'd probably go back and read the (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) I wouldn't bother. This well known algorithm is based on an assumption that simply isn't true for the parts files. The assumption is that there is one single enclosed space inside of each part. But I think the studs are open at one end and are (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  numbers report - 7 August 2002

Stats for Unofficial Files 213 certified files. 222 files need admin review. 160 files need more votes. 241 have uncertified subfiles. 133 held files. 969 files total. For comparison: 2002-08-07 - 213 / 222 / 160 / 241 / 133 (969) 2002-07-16 - 131 / (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Beginner's tutorial to programming LDraw utilities (Delphi Edition)

(...) Thanks! (...) There are lots of free resources for Delphi newbies on the net + a very good context sensitive online help. The description you requested is only a keystroke away (for those who have Delphi installed.) The Delphi help system is (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) Thanks for the info, but it's easier written than applied. It'll take an entire revamp of my code. -Orion (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

Error: read: Count how many *other* polygons this line segment intersects. for Count how many polygons this line segment intersects. Or, if counting your own polygon, switch even and odd. (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

The simple algorithm: Project a normal from any vertex of the polygon to some point far beyond the object. Count how many polygons this line segment intersects. If odd, the normal was pointing in, if even, the normal was pointing out. This assumes (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Detemining Polygon Winding (Was: New Plugin for LDDesignPad)

(...) Tell me about it. (...) I think have the math right for determining polygon winding. The problem is this, how do can I traverse the polygonal faces of a convex or concave polyhedron(a part) and know that I'm looking at said polygon from the (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Updating other persons parts?

I for one would welcome someone to fix my poor attempt at my parts :). Wouldn't hurt my pride at all. (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) By the way--are you going to make it to Pennsic this year, you crazy medieval geek?!? Dave! (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) Very good! :) (...) That's all we ask. It doesn't have to be complete -- if there's no good term for brown, then we don't have any data to add for it. Brown is brown. (...) If you could email them to me in bunches, that'd be great. Steve (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Heraldry Terms

(...) Ok. I'll work on building the proper heraldric terms for the various blazons in use. I'll bug my wife, and see if she can give me some of the terminology for some of the clothing indicated on the torso patterns (although most of those, I (...) (22 years ago, 7-Aug-02, to lugnet.castle, lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact