 CAD / Development / 7185
7184  |  7186
Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Re: Type 5 lines at the edge of primitives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 05:20:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Travis Cobbs writes:
A good example of this is the sphere primitive.  The included type 5 lines
at the edge are ... well ... unique.  Look at
http://home.san.rr.com/tcobbs/LDView/test2.gif and
http://home.san.rr.com/tcobbs/LDView/test3.gif to see what I'm talking
about.  In these shots, a line is drawn from the first point of each type 5
line to its two control points.  (In addition, all type 5 lines are drawn,
not just the ones that should be.)

The problem is that they won't be drawn correctly if you (say) put 4 of
these together to form a hemishere.  (They'll be omitted from some angles
when they should have been there.)  On the other hand, if you set it up so
that a hemisphere works, then they'll be drawn when they're not supposed to
be if you put the hemisphere on top of a cylinder.

I'm not sure if I understand this properly - if the second "test" point is
down the line where the cylinder joint (between two rects) would be if it
was attached to a cylinder, won't that work? It'll mean the same line may
occasionally be displayed twice, but generally it'd be displayed by one or
the other hemisphere - if one misses it, the other would get it, wouldn't it?

Or am I totally missing the problem?

ROSCO

Here is a model that demonstrates some of the problems with placing type 5
lines at the edge of the cylinder primitive.

0
1 16 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 10 1-4cyli.dat
1 16 0 0 20 10 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 0 -10 1-4cyli.dat
1 16 -20 0 20 10 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 10 1-4cyli.dat
0

Take a look at it from front, back, left, and right and you'll see type 5 lines
where they shouldn't be.