 CAD / Development / 7184
Re: Idea, using functions for some primitives.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 02:23:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Orion Pobursky writes:
Time to throw fuel on the fire.

By all means, a good discussion :-)

Why are we still latching ourselves on to the original dos LDRAW program.
Isn't it time the LDraw community graduated to Windows/Mac based programs
and let the DOS program fade away from usage.  Much like other programs, the
Dos version was just the start but bigger and better things are on the
horizion if we, as a community, drop the restrictions placed upon us by DOS
(to cite one example, the 8+3 filename limit).

Here's how I see it.  As a community we need to answer this question and act
accordingly.  What is the role of 'LDraw?'

I see 'LDraw' as the file format and parts library, and its role is as a
foundation and common language for exchanging LEGO models between computer
users.  The format is published so anyone can use it.  I don't see 'LDraw'
as limited to James' original programs.  It has become much more than that.

Steve and I have had some private discussion where we were discussing what
program LDraw.org should advocate as its standard.  We both lean towards
LEdit, for a few reasons.  DOS is rather portable, its a simple
implementation that shows the use of the file format, its stable, and its
under the control of the 'org' or community.

I see 'third party' or 'second generation' editors/modelers as owned by
their individual authors (MLCAD, LeoCAD, BrickDraw, etc).  They build on the
LDraw system.  When you use one of these tools, you create an LDraw model
with LDraw parts, using the software title as the tool to create it.  These
programs aren't under the authority of the community, rather, the authority
of their individual authors.

So, if we as a community are going to embrace a standard program, it should
be under community ownership.

Also, LDraw tools are used primarily on four operating systems (there are
others, their use is not as common).  Windows, Mac, Linux, and DOS.  If we
as a community are going to adopt a new standard application, shouldn't it
be ported to all of these operating systems, or preferably, be open source?
I'd most likely be against adopting a standard app that only ran on one
operating system, except in the case of the existing LEdit on DOS, because
its been there since the beginning.

This also all relates to LDraw government issues - or the formal org thing.
I admit, I've been a bit checked out lately, and on top of that very busy.
I want to get some LDraw tasks accomplished soon and I keep kicking myself
when I blow my own self-imposed deadlines.

This is all fodder for discussion at Brickfest too - its great getting
people together in person, because things go much faster and more ideas come
out of it than online.  I'd be happy to spend one evening out of the event
(I can't overcommit for BF, I have so many friends to visit and people to
talk to there its not funny, plus non-LDraw activities I want/need to do)
discussing the future of LDraw and even putting into motion some actions if
we have other website people there like Steve.

Just throwing out more thoughts...

-Tim