 CAD / Development / 7127 (-10)
  Re: Why Type 5 Lines?

(...) Yeah, the stencil buffer, that's gotta be it. If you've got BFC working then you can use the stencil buffer to count how many times an edge is draw in GL_LINE mode. Edges on back facing triangles won't be drawn, so you'll only count one edge (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Why Type 5 Lines?

(...) That sounds like glPolygonOffset which would be part of the solution because it allows the edges to look clean. We all use that already. (...) I can see how you might accomplish some of that by manipulating glEdgeFlag when you define your (...) (22 years ago, 18-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Why Type 5 Lines?

(...) OpenGL has glPolygonOffset, which does what you describe by allowing you to move the polygons further away in the Z direction, where the amount they move can depend on the slope of the polygon in the Z direction. This works great, and I use it (...) (22 years ago, 17-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Why Type 5 Lines?

(...) The obvious case where it's useful is studs - without these lines, viewing any brick from the standard "oblique" position above & to the side, you would see a circle at the top & bottom of each stud, but no sides, which IMHO would not look (...) (22 years ago, 17-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Why Type 5 Lines?

(...) Well, I believe that there is something called a 'Z offset' that can be used not to actually move the geometry, but to make sure the lines appear 'on top' of the faces. Before I go more into this I need to back up a bit. I currently use the (...) (22 years ago, 17-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Why Type 5 Lines?

(...) I'm curious to. Everything I know about how OpenGL works says that drawing the strip as a wireframe after drawing it solidly would either produce Z Buffer noise, no wireframe at all, or wireframe all over. However, it may be that there is some (...) (22 years ago, 17-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Why Type 5 Lines?

(...) Tell more about this. I just tweaked a version of ldview to display type 5 lines, but only for surfaces that haven't been replaced by quad strips. It looks good with primitive substitution turned off, but with this automagic wireframing of (...) (22 years ago, 17-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Why Type 5 Lines?

(...) I believe that there are other ways to put these lines in, as long as you are *only* planning on using them to show the 'visible' edge of a curved surface. This is actually a question I've been meaning to ask around here, Have type5 lines been (...) (22 years ago, 17-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Why Type 5 Lines?

(...) On the contrary, I think that type-5 lines are very useful, and an interesting solution. They are a nice way to make sure that rounded objects are outlined with a contrasting colour, no matter where the viewpoint is. The rendering of cylinders (...) (22 years ago, 17-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Why Type 5 Lines?

(...) I'm not sure how to quantify 'usefulness' of a line command. If you want to make outlines on simulated curved surfaces in LDraw, conditional lines are vital. I can't think of another to accomplish this task. And making the outlines is fairly (...) (22 years ago, 17-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact