 CAD / Development / 6782 (-10)
  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

(...) Not sure. LEGO(r)'s own internal format? There IS one but few know details. The LEGO Creator(tm) format? In fact one would speculate that a "good" Creator-like program would need this info to be workable. LEOCad(tm) uses same/different format? (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

(...) OK, I see where you're at on that. Yes... it would be nice to just put it in the DAT file itself. Huge advantage to that is that it's there. No need for clunky lookaside files to correlate against. Huge disadvantage of course is that the DAT (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

(...) Is there a contemporaneous format to which LCD could apply? (honest question) (...) LEGO is sensitive about the use of their name. [No different than GoB(tm)] (...) I think it now stands for LDraw, formerly it was something like LEGO Draw. (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

(...) Correct. I was not faulting the authors. I only intended to point out that the community needs to work with them to flesh out the model. I hate to throw in jargon and buzzwords into a discussion, but we will need to either build or adopt an (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

(...) Oh. I hope so. That makes more sense (at least in my head.) From some of what I read though, I got the impression that the modelling tool was supposed to get the geometry from the DAT file, but lookup the connectivity of the part in some other (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

(...) systems - especially once headsets/3d displays are in common use. It would also be great for writing AI software that could 'play' with Legos. Later, Gary (23 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

(...) I think that was the intent of the authors. When you get a chance to read the whole thing (and you should make yourself some clear time with no distractions, it's fairly intense reading but worth it) you'll see that they speak of things (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

Larry Pieniazek wrote: . . . (...) Hi, I first have to admit that I haven't read the whole proposal. However from what I have read, and the comments, I'm starting to think that what is being proposed is more of a standalone database that is popu (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

(...) I think this document is a good summary of the problem and solution. :) I've got plenty of specific issues, but I'd like to reserve comment for right now. First, it would be good to hear from the people writing programs (ie, Leonardo and (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: LCD - LEGO Connection Database - Proposal

(...) I think your comment is correct, the connectability needs to encompass a minifig hat on a standard stud... where there may be weakness in their terminology is that they handle fields of studs as one... and while a minifig hat will NOT fit onto (...) (23 years ago, 29-Jan-02, to lugnet.cad.dev)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact