 CAD / Development / 6724
Re: How do we handle stickers in Ldraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:58:55 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Imre Papp wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Steve Bliss writes:
71447A.DAT    Sticker Set 6558 Red Oval with "558"
71447B.DAT    Sticker Set 6558 Dolphin Logo Dexter
71447C.DAT    Sticker Set 6558 Dolphin Logo Sinister
71447.DAT     Sticker Set 6558 Sheet 25mm x 40mm

This is quit clear approach for numbers. The name is also seems to be good,
but I'm only a slightly uncertain that stickers are really uniquely appear
in a single set. But I think we can accept this assumption.

Some sticker sheets appear in multiple sets.  One example of this is the
fish sticker sheet from the Divers sets,
<http://www.geocities.com/partsref/71452.jpg>.  In these cases, we could
use the playtheme name in the sticker-part name.  Or we could name the
sticker-parts after the earliest set in which the stickers appeared.

Sometimes, sets will have multiple sticker sheets.  Do we need to worry
a lot about identifying/differentiating the stickers from these sheets?
I don't think so, but it's a potential issue.

The other thing to mention that I can't see the usefulness of the complete
sticker sheet file. I doubt the anybody ever wants to use the stikers
arranged in the original sheet. Further it might be impossible to find out
the original layout if the original sheet (or scan) is not available. I
accept however that as a complete reference, it could be nice.

The usefulness of the complete sheets would be for making instruction
pages, part lists, and for general parts reference.  They wouldn't be
very useful for modelling.

I don't think that having a 'complete sheet' file would be required for
adding any stickers into the parts library.

And now back to specifics: Does anybody have the sticker sheet number for
the 8880 Technic car or the scan of the original (or at least the already
emptied) sheet?

Sorry, I don't.

I will give a try to modell these stickers in Ldraw and we can continue the
discussion when they will be ready.

Great!  I look forward to seeing them.

Steve