 CAD / Development / 6720
Re: How do we handle stickers in Ldraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 21:54:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Imre Papp writes:

1. The individual stikers have no numbers (the sticker sheets holding all
stickers in a set do).

And sticker sheets seem to get different types of numbers.  It seems like
the current 'system' of numbers include both a 5-digit and a 7-digit number.

I think LDraw sticker files can be handled in the same way we handle small
parts on runners (like coins, tools, etc).  The assembly of runner/parts has
one number from TLC.  For LDraw, we derive the individual file names by
adding a one-letter suffix to this number.  For stickers, we might have to
allow a 2-letter suffix (thinking about sheets with lots of stickers, like
the football/soccer teams).

We could also use an approach like we use for patterned parts - use the base
number, plus a one-letter "sticker indicator" (like S, or something), plus a
2-character "sticker code".  The problem with this method is the sticker
sheet numbers with 6 or 7 digits would exceed our 8-character partfilename
limit.

4. To establish a clear nomenclature for stickers is even more difficult
than for parts.

Good point.  Probably this will have to be decided after someone has a set
of sticker files ready to be submitted.  But I think something like:

71447A.DAT    Sticker Set 6558 Red Oval with "558"
71447B.DAT    Sticker Set 6558 Dolphin Logo Dexter
71447C.DAT    Sticker Set 6558 Dolphin Logo Sinister
71447.DAT     Sticker Set 6558 Sheet 25mm x 40mm

(see example scan at <http://www.geocities.com/partsref/71447.jpg>)

would work.  Each sticker gets a part file, and so does the complete sheet.
But I'm open to other suggestions.

Steve