 CAD / Development / 6715
6714  |  6716
Subject:
How do we handle stickers in Ldraw?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:24:18 GMT

Dear List,

I remember that some times ago we have discussed the topic of Lego stickers
in Ldraw. There was no clear agreement on the nomenclature, the positioning,
assigment to parts etc. I'm writing this mail to unfreeze slightly this
topic, because I went throught (just for curiosity) the instructions of the
classic 8880 Technic black car and collected the uses of stickers and
patterned parts. I found 8 stickers (and 1 patterned part -  the turnable
headlamp pattern on 3042.dat not included below):

Please help me remember what was our last decision on modelling stickers and
submit them to the officialization process. Aiming to try to fill the gaps I
could prepare the stickers of the 8880 Technic car as an example, if we
agreed on the main concept of naming, modelling, positioning etc. of
stickers and if there would be any hope that these files get officialized
some day.

To help the discussion I list the main problems I remember:

1. The individual stikers have no numbers (the sticker sheets holding all
stickers in a set do).

2. Stickers may be attached alternatively to more than one element in a set,
so they are individual entities and not exclusively sticked to a single
part. (Personally I hate pulling out stickers from bricks, but sometimes
alternative instructions require :-) ).

3. Stikers are two dimensional objects, having no height and this causes
problems when placed on flat elements. (bleed-through)

4. To establish a clear nomenclature for stickers is even more difficult
than for parts.

Thanks

Ampi

         Imre Papp