 CAD / Development / 6451
Re: Future extension of dat files?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 21:35:28 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Don Heyse wrote:

I don't suppose you could humor me and type:

assoc .ldr

at a command prompt and tell me what you get.

I get this:

C:\>assoc .ldr
.ldr=l3.dat

C:\>assoc .dat
.dat=L3.dat

But I was mucking with assoc yesterday, so don't assume this is the
normal result of the registry mucking I did before then.

Since we seem to be
standardizing on the .ldr extension and the application/x-ldraw, it
might be nice to standardize the rest of the junk Windows seems to
use to associate extensions with mime types.  I mentioned this once
before here:

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=5606

At that time I suggested switching from ldlite.document to
lcad.document.  However I noticed the reference at ldraw.org

http://www.ldraw.org/reference/mime

suggests LDraw.DAT.File for the associated file type.  That sounds
reasonable to me, except perhaps we should switch DAT to LDR, or just
go with LDraw.File.

Any thoughts?

Probably LDraw.Document would be good, having *any* standard would be
better. :)

Steve