 CAD / Development / 6424
Re: Future extension of dat files?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 12:55:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Michael Lachmann" <michael.lachmann@lm-software.com> writes:

some time ago I've been told by somebody that extensions of dat
files should be changed to something else.

It is my experience that "development" type discussions are no longer
run on LUGNET, rather they have been taken to some disclosed private
mailing lists.

I know of one list we're both on, are there other ones that are "disclosed"?
If so can you disclose them? I would want to listen in. Or did you mean
undisclosed...

Personally, I don't see any benefits from changing the extensions.  We
already have .LDR and .MPD (and .LDS?).  Why cause even more confusion
by introduciong even more extensions?

DAT is commonly used by many other things as well. But we can never find an
extension that someone doesn't use for something, and changing all existing
files away from DAT to something else is a huge (impossible?) job. So if a
new extension to replace DAT was introduced it would not get RID of DAT,
just add to the extensions to support. So I agree, I think. In an ideal
world I'd like to see it changed though.

Fredrik