 CAD / Development / 6258
Re: Another idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 02:36:30 GMT

Kyle D. Jackson wrote:
The best CAD keyboard interface I've ever seen (and I've seen a lot!)
was that of the VersaCAD package of the late 80's.  Every single
possible command (I think) in the system was accessible by a
single keystroke.  And no, they didn't have a limit on the number
of commands.  Instead the keys were context-senstive based on where
you were in the menu heirarchy.

That's a neat idea.  It's doable.

Today that could be leveraged by having a hot-key that toggles
the display of *all* menus on and off, to maximize screen area
for the graphics.  Only a small status/prompt bar would need
be displayed.

I really like that idea.  It had never occured to me to make the main menu
invisible, but it's trivial to accomplish.

Personally, I've always hated the AutoCAD interface with the command
line.  The abbreviations were often cryptic making learning
and retention much tougher, to say the least of many more keystrokes
required.

What if all the commands can be renamed by the user? :)

My goal is to make this system as *flexible* as possible so it can be
tailored to each user's preferences.

I'll keep all the command name strings in an variable array instead of a
constant one.