 CAD / Development / 6253
Re: Another idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 00:11:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Gary Williams writes:
For the CAD system I'm developing, I'm planning to have multiple ways of
issuing commands:

Drop-down and pop-up menus
Speedbuttons
Keyboard shortcuts (configurable to user preferences)

and...

Command line interface (like in AutoCAD)

In AutoCAD I often find it fastest to use the command line interface.  For
example, if I want to draw a line, I can type "line" or just enough
characters to specify a unique command (e.g., "l") and thus avoid having to
drag the mouse all the way across the display to click a line button, then
drag it back to the work area.  For this program I imagine commands like

roll 90
(to rotate the selected pieces around the x axis; there would also be pitch
for the z axis, yaw for the y axis, etc.)

Please, oh please make it "rotate x 90" (like "offset" command below).

flip y
(to flip the selected pieces in the y direction)

I assume this is equivalent to "rotate y 180".

offset y +5
(to move a part 5 ldraw units in the +y direction)

hsnap 20
(to set horizontal snap granularity (distance) in LDraw units; there would
also be a vsnap command)

I think these probably need to be "snap [x|y|z] 20" as well, unless you're
gonna implement them separately for all three axis views, which could become
confusing.

snap on|off

shadow on|off

zoom all|window|previous

etc.

...the idea being that *every* command would be available through both menus
and the command line interface, while the user would be able to assign up to
26 commands to normal keyboard shortcuts, and pick which speedbuttons he
wanted.

Hmmm. As others have said, 26 may not be enough!