 CAD / Development / 6254
Re: Another idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 00:37:34 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dev, Gary Williams writes:
For this program I imagine commands like

roll 90
(to rotate the selected pieces around the x axis; there would also be • pitch
for the z axis, yaw for the y axis, etc.)

Please, oh please make it "rotate x 90" (like "offset" command below).

I could have 'rotate <axis> <angle>' as an alias for roll, pitch, and yaw
<angle>, as appropriate.  No problem.

flip y
(to flip the selected pieces in the y direction)

I assume this is equivalent to "rotate y 180".

That's not what I had intended.

Imagine a clockwise helix (spring).  "flip y" would turn it into a
counterclockwise one, if it was standing vertically.  I envisioned this to
be a mirror command that deletes the original when it's done.

offset y +5
(to move a part 5 ldraw units in the +y direction)

hsnap 20
(to set horizontal snap granularity (distance) in LDraw units; there • would
also be a vsnap command)

I think these probably need to be "snap [x|y|z] 20" as well, unless you're
gonna implement them separately for all three axis views, which could • become
confusing.

I had originally thought of hsnap and vsnap, with hsnap controlling x and z
simultaneously.  But "snap <axis> <distance>" is just as easy to implement.

snap on|off

shadow on|off

zoom all|window|previous

etc.

...the idea being that *every* command would be available through both • menus
and the command line interface, while the user would be able to assign up • to
26 commands to normal keyboard shortcuts, and pick which speedbuttons he
wanted.

Hmmm. As others have said, 26 may not be enough!

I'll allow using just about any combination of ctrl and alt, and function
keys.

-Gary