 CAD / Development / 6114
  Proposal

I've got a bit of a problem with the LDraw derived software. I love the tools I use. My problem is with the unfortunate choice of filename extension. When LDraw/LEdit were written, it didn't really matter much. However, nowadays file (...) (23 years ago, 2-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

(...) I think you could use .mpd Many of the tools already accept this extension, and I believe (correct me if I am wrong someone) that you can rename your model files, and any model files you download, to use this extension. Of course parts and (...) (23 years ago, 2-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

(...) Erg. The .DAT extension is pretty much needed by all tools in use. And the original tools are still used quite a bit, especially in cases where tool flexability is more important than a GUI. (i.e. I still use LEdit to model tank treads, since (...) (23 years ago, 2-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

(...) How about these: ldr - LDraw (dat) files mpd - Multi-Part lDraw files ldl - files with LDLite language extensions lds - LDScript files mlc - files with MLCad language extensions Steve (23 years ago, 2-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

"Steve Bliss" <steve.bliss@home.com> wrote in message news:k3u0ftckudqbaaf...4ax.com... (...) attached (...) I've been a proponent of .ldr whenever it has come up. I like that, and the other extensions you propose. -Tim (23 years ago, 2-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

(...) I think we should settle for mpd. Let's not bring another extention into this to cause even more confusion. One can always use .mpd on an LDraw file, even if it does not contain any "FILE" keywords, right? So there are no problems related to (...) (23 years ago, 3-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

(...) You and Fredrik are both correct on this, of course. And most tools will accept any extension on files, so if you have a DAT model named whatever.foo, you can still render it in LDraw, LDLite or L3Lab (for example). Steve (23 years ago, 3-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

(...) What I'd really like to see, is these tools defaulting to something other than .dat when files are saved. I expect them to all still support .dat. What I'd really like to see is people publishing their files with an extension other than .dat. (...) (23 years ago, 3-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

How about .ldraw? Just thinking differently. (23 years ago, 3-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

(...) I think we should try to keep the 8.3 filename convention from DOS because of ldraw/ledit. We can just use mpd as someone suggested. (...) Sounds like an Apple guy talking :) Leonardo (23 years ago, 3-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

(...) Well to get back to 8.3 it only takes chopping off the last 2 chars, and Tim likes .LDR . How DO you give a file a 5 letter extension in Windows? I tried it (Win95 handy...) and it keeps a secret .dat extension after that too... I wanted to (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  RE: Proposal

Erik Olson (...) Turn off that annoying "Hide extensions of known file types" option in Folder Options (or something similar) Windows 95/98/etc doesn't seem to care how long file extensions are (*.html, for example), three letters is just the norm. (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

(...) Tim (...) I like ldr too. (...) to (...) I use win2k here at work, I'll try on winme when I get home. I think you need to have the option to show file extensions enabled if you're using windows explorer, otherwise you can rename from a DOS (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  RE: Proposal

(...) Oh, and it would mangle it a lot more than that for DOS display... 3193~1.ldr --Bram Bram Lambrecht bram@cwru.edu (URL) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

"Erik Olson" <olsone@spamcop.net> wrote in message news:GCsCrG.8n4@lugnet.com... (...) Yep, here's a few reasons: If .ldr is the standard file, people will mentally associate the editors - MLCad, LeoCAD, BrikDraw3D - viewers LDView, L3Lab - as (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

Tim, I have a listing of thousands of file name extensions available to me. I will search it tonight and let you all know tomorrow if the ideas you all are talking about have been used before, if you would like. LMK, Matt (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

"Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> wrote in message news:GCsEHM.CD5@lugnet.com... (...) Go for it, that would be cool! Thanks! -Tim (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

Will do...look for a post tomorrow. Matt (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

Sorry it took so long for me to get this back. I scoured my sources and all of the Internet databases I know of, and as far as I can tell, you are free and clear on all of these extensions: .ldr .ldl .lds .mpd .mlc I wonder if someone didn't do this (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

"Matthew Gerber" <matthew@digitaliris.com> wrote in message news:GCtx8C.8C3@lugnet.com... (...) Cool. I'd prefer the primary file extension to reflect the 'LDraw' name - 'ldr.' Some further discussion may be in order about DAT files having more than (...) (23 years ago, 4-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: Proposal

(...) We could introduce a new meta-statement to track to the language extensions used by a model file. This would allow .dat, .ldl, .mpd, and .mlc files to all use a single extension. The .lds format is different enough that it should have a unique (...) (23 years ago, 7-May-01, to lugnet.cad.dev)