 CAD / Development / 6114
6113  |  6115
Subject:
Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 20:50:08 GMT

  I've got a bit of a problem with the LDraw derived software.  I love the
tools I use.  My problem is with the unfortunate choice of filename extension.
When LDraw/LEdit were written, it didn't really matter much.  However,
nowadays file extension/application mappings are common.  Having every file on
my system which has a dat extension map to MLCad is someimes annoying.  I'd
rather have .dat map to notepad or gvim.

  I propose that an additional extension be adopted as the default for creating
model files with these tools.  I realize the complexities surrounding
LDraw/LEdit and that they can't be changed.  However, it seems like the
majority of designers no longer use these tools much.  So, I'm proposing the
Windows and (hopefully) Mac based (*NIX, if there are any, I'm not sure) tools
start to support a second file extension for .dat files.

  I've had a few thoughts on what the extension could be, but I'm not attached
to any of them.  So, thoughts?

Later,
Gino A...